Monday, March 24, 2008

Kindergarten Madness!!!!

I'm so unsettled and crazy over as to what school Ava is going to attend this Fall. We don't feel our local school is the best choice for Ava. We don't like the looks of it, the uniforms or the lack of diversity. The scores are pretty good, we haven't met the teachers or the principal but we don't like it. So we have applied for charter schools like every other involved parent in LA has done. We've been wait listed on two. Los Feliz, we got the terrible number of 199. :(..... and Avison, we got 81. Both bad but we are only heart broken over Los Feliz. Avison was a plan C. Better than our local but not A or B. Los Feliz would have been A. But we were REJECTED!!!
The way you get into these schools is, you preview them, you fill out an application and on a selected day they pull names for a random lottery. Ava's first choice is Odyssey. Why because all her friends from her preschool go there. She will have friends up until the second grade. The school is in Altadena, where Breyne works, thats a plus, Ava wants to go there, another plus a few people we really like go there, another plus. The teachers and Director seem great. The minuses, the director is leaving. They are hiring a new one, that could be good or bad. The campus itself isn't to eye pleasing but they are working on it and we wouldn't have minded breaking out and meeting new families at a new school. This grade school business has me a wreck!! I wish we could afford the French school or Waverly but we can't! It feels so weird that Ava won't be with me every day and the state will require my own child to be away from me. Weird, the law will require her to be away from me five days a week! I'm sure I will get used to it but I don't fancy being told what to do. Damn the man!!
I was supposed to hear from Odyssey today but there computers went down. I hate that I have to wait one more day!! I'll hear from the language school in late May and the same for Daliah Heights and Eagle Rock. Damn! I hate this feeling of desperation!!
I'm a failure at kindergarten patients!

No comments: