Sunday, March 2, 2008

Barbie Vs. Brats


Ava's really into playing hair salon these days. She blew me away the other day, I was running around cleaning doing my usual play for a minute, put stuff away, grab a snack, talk to Ava business. I walked out of what we call our "cabin" and walked back in and Ava put piggy tales in her hair! it was so cute! Two low pigtails. Shes always asking for rubber bands and clips and does the cutest stuff with her hair. I had no idea I would be passing up the hair brush so young in her life.
So let me back track. A while back a lot of the older girls that graduated from Ava's preschool were in that Bratz movie. Yes, the hippie granola preschool that's anti media, yet most of their parents make their living in media. Ahem.....so these girls that Ava idolizes were telling her that they were in this movie. So Ava wanted to see it. I had to tell her no and let her know that we don't play with Bratz dolls either. Ava being Ava did not like hearing there was a toy that she couldn't play with and I can't blame her. I understand that. So I had to get creative and explain to her what the word Brat means and how these dolls are made to look like stripper whores without having to tell her those words exactly.
Ok, so we were at Target and Im such a sucker and I always want to buy her things and I remember how they have those doll heads to style their hair. So we ran over to the doll area and the barbie head happen to be the Mariposa edition. I was so excited because Ava has the book and its in spanish (exciting for a mexican girl to see a barbie doing some spanish) and I said here and Ava said "Ugh (with that questioning Ava face) do you really want me playing with a doll that looks like this? So for a moment, she was the adult and I was the little girl. I said what, you don't want this and she grabbed it and said I do! So I looked around didn't see any other head options other than the bratz version thats an entire torso and if you could imagine, way worse, I noticed, she does look like a stripper whore too! But at this point, I wasn't going to take it away from her.
So this played over and over in my head. Ava needing to remind me I was the one who said she couldn't play with dolls that looked like grown women. It bothered me so much I took a trip to walk down stripper bratz aisle and do see that barbie isn't nearly as trashy but she's still pretty inappropriate for a four year old to be playing with. Some are worse than others but just because she's blonde and white........she can still whore it up! Have you seen the Top Model barbies? Slutty for sure but they do look kind of fun to play with if you are a grown perverted man! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, they've really bratzed out Barbie! Barbie always was a bit trampy looking, but more in a Chrissy from Three's Company way than the Bratz, who are trampy looking in a botoxed, Sunset Blvd., post op tranny kind of way.

These are definitely dangerous waters you are navigating. Maybe you can do a Bratz version of What Not to Wear and clean them up together! ;)