Monday, February 18, 2008

It's a good day

Yesterday was Ruby's birthday. I'm going to blog about that when I get a picture from it. (I momentarily lost my camera.) Her Party went fantastic. We kept is very simple and small. As small as my family can be anyway. ;) I was pretty certain I was going to cancel her party all week long. I figured it was the one year I could really get away with doing nothing. I wanted to do nothing because of my dad's health and because of his health, I have been very depressed.
My Dad's health fell very poor. I really thought he had no more miracles left. We all did. About a week and a half ago, I got a call from my mom saying my dad was leaving their home in an ambulance. He was hemorrhaging. He threw up blood and coughed up blood the next day. Over the next week, he lost even more blood. He had to have several transfusions. After a few days, his mind went. He was in and out of sleep but had no idea where he was. He saw people in the room. A man named Chad and a small boy. There was no one in the room. My Dad wanted to leave for several reasons. He thought he was well and he was begging us to get him out of bed. He felt stuck and wanted to move. He couldn't move and that made him really upset. After a while he had to be restrained. On Thursday his blood pressure dropped to 56/31. The whole time he was awake. We, my mother, sister and I were all in a silent panic. I asked him how he felt, wondering if this was it and he said "I feel fine". I thought for sure this was the end.
I saw my Dad in a condition, no one should ever have to see anyone in. After a spell of hallucinations, he asked me to take care of my mom for him. He cried and said he didn't want her alone. I promised him I would. This was all very hard for me. At one point I sat in my feelings and realized, this was the most painful feelings I have ever experienced. No break up or loss has ever compared. My heart felt a hundred pounds heavy.
Last Friday, my Dad's health took a turn. The bleeding stopped (they still, after many test, have no idea why that happened), his mental state was healthy and his vitals were ok again. Late that night he was transfered to a skilled nursing center for rehabilitation. I was worried but happy too.
After some much needed encouragement from a friend and my family, I was reminded how necessary it is to celebrate birthdays, especially the first one. So we had a small party and friends, my dad is doing amazing! I can't believe this miracle! I was at the hospital all day every day and barely saw my girls. I am not very hopeful when it comes to my Dad being sick. I guess I try to stay true, he has a lot of health problems and I guess I prepare myself for the worst. In fact, when his health took a turn for the better, I still stayed on the negative side just in case. Well, its been three days and let me tell you, I am high as kite!
My baby's One, my Dad's alive and I get to hear him on the other end of the phone saying "Hi baby!" when I call him.
I am the happiest woman/mom/daughter today. YAY!!!!!!!